Announcements: Please turn off your adblock for Bullymods.net! Advertisements help us pay for the site, which allows you to use it--
*Also make sure to Introduce yourself, in the below section! Say Hi, and tell us who you are!* ~quinn

Possible Workaround for Bully in Windows 10

Anything Bully related.
Bobby
New Kid
New Kid

Possible Workaround for Bully in Windows 10

Postby Bobby » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:29 am

Hello. I think figured out why Bully is crashing on Windows 10 and how to fix it. Apparently on Windows 8 and later, all older (DX8/9) games run on "Maximized Windowed Mode", which is a simulated fullscreen mode on top of dwm.exe (Desktop Composition) due to a hardcoded setting in d3d8.dll. This leads me to the conclusion that Bully is not fully compatible with Windows 10's dwm.exe like Windows 8/8.1, and that's why it's crashing. A guy from Vogons forum made a patched version of this file which allows these games to be ran on real fullscreen mode w/o Desktop Composition. It can be found here. It contains versions for different Windows 10 builds. To install it, you need to take ownership (Google Take Ownership registry hack) of d3d8.dll, located either in SysWOW64 or system32 if you're using a 32bit version of Windows 10, rename it to d3d8.dll.bak and place the modified .dll file for your build. Keep in mind it gets overwritten with the original after each feature upgrade. If you don't want to deal with all of this, just place it in Bully's folder. It will probably work, but i haven't tested it. To identify whenever the patch is working Alt-Tab and hold it. If it resembles the classic theme, it means that Desktop Composition is off for the game and is working as it should. I played the game for straight up hour without crashing/slowdowns on Windows 10 x64. Feel free to test it further.

quinnsane
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Possible Workaround for Bully in Windows 10

Postby quinnsane » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:02 pm

This does look promising, but I don't run Windows 10 to test it. I'll send it to a couple of people who I think do and find out!

Delta
New Kid
New Kid

Postby Delta » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:08 am

This is quite handy to know as it fixes issues I have with multiple older games, that only cropped up when I installed Win10 - Thank you!
CUI BONO?

quinnsane
Administrator
Administrator

Postby quinnsane » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:07 am

This has been found NOT to work at all, in fact quite the opposite. Locking the thread.

King Cobra
Administrator
Administrator

Postby King Cobra » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:22 am

I seem to be late here, but I'll leave a note anyway:

** Be VERY careful in changing any registry or dll data. You can very easily cause a blue screen and crash, or corrupt data. Only change this kind of data if you know what you're doing.

** If you wish to take ownership, cmd has commands such as "takeown" or "icacls". Best to become familiar with cmd.

** I have Bully on Windows 7 and it seems to work. Windows 10 or even 8 is far more complicated and bloated than 7 or prior. Much of windows 10 and the system it has is new, and was never even coded into Bully.

Not to mention that some of what Bully may be looking for may have been heavily changed or even removed now to where Bully malfunctions because it can't find what it needs.

You would need a forensic tool to watch Bully in detail and see if anything fails and where.