Announcements: Welcome to the BullyMods Forum. Please Read SWEGTA's Post in the Announcements, below! ~Staff
--Please turn off your adblock for Bullymods.net! Advertisements help us pay for the site, which allows you to use it--
*Also make sure to Introduce yourself, in the below section! Say Hi, and tell us who you are!* ~quinn

Why I Dislike The Atheist Community

Anything that may be considered controversial.
CheesyBorders
Getting Somewhere
Getting Somewhere

Why I Dislike The Atheist Community

Postby CheesyBorders » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:45 pm

This might piss a few people off, but the atheist community has really become, in my opinion, the worst community on the internet. The only reason I can myself non religious instead of atheist is because I don't want to be labeled as someone like them. I'm not saying all of them are bad, of course not. There are many great atheists, and I'm sure many people in this community would call themselves atheists. However, I'm talking about the overall community. This might just be me, but I find that many atheists have a borderline obsession with telling people there isn't a god. For example, I watched a video on the Pontiac Silverdome. One of the first comments was "I laugh at the popes car, his bulletproof tires are real, but his god isn't." Below that, was of course, another boring and laughably bad religious debate played out by idiotic Christians and equally dumb atheists. Is it really that important that the whole world knows you hate anyone who believes in a god? Another thing I hate is their opinion on agnostics, which just gets on my nerves. Many atheists I've seen just treat agnostics like their idiots for thinking that evolution could be wrong, even though the entire point of science is to RESEARCH instead of sticking to one idea that has little evidence. Most atheists I've met online are elitist pricks who have nothing better to do other than make fun of someone for believing in a god, or people so dumb that they'll just comment about how much they hate *insert Islam, Christianity, or Agnostics here* on videos completely unrelated. If you guys think differently, feel free to comment, I'm open for discussion on your opinions. However, for the sake of this thread, PLEASE don't start a flame war, we can talk about this without being internet tough guys.

KISSbestfan
New Kid
New Kid

Re: Why I Dislike The Atheist Community

Postby KISSbestfan » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:59 pm

What can I say ? As a religious person I feel bullied nowadays almost everywhere.

The fun fact is Im really sometimes critical, and I know that my local priest is not a helpful person. But I do know some priests, that are cool guys, you can even drink with them, and talk about life, and I assure you - they wouldnt shout at you at the first place. Everybody makes mistakes. But thats not enough for most people, since Im stick with the church I can be bullied from almost everywhere - media, internet, public discourse etc. I really feel Im in the minority, even tough I live in catholic country.

The thing is Im not a good guy. If I wouldnt be religious I would be a real scumbag you wouldnt like to meet on the street. But since I am I try to follow the rules of my life, and try to understand people, even if I disagree with them. I prefer the easy talk, instead of attacking everybody. It doesnt really helps though.

From what I see being an atheist is almost always linked with discussions. Disclaimings, negations etc. And even if I try to talk without emotions, and sometimes even simply follow the logic that even being atheist is a state of believing (because it is duh), I only get shouting, denying, and stuff in reply. This is what I hate mostly. Not to mention when I finally found some dude for talk, that was open for a discussion, he was a history student. So I thought it would be wise to talk about historic reasons to believe in Jesus. After a few minutes he just concluded that "history sometimes is fake" ...

To make long story short I am a traditional guy for life, so probably a total opposition of almost all of you there. And I feel being bullied not only by atheist community. Im not saying there are no people to talk to seriously, I just havent met one in all my life. So far most of my friends are more aghnostic than atheist, so thats why Im not counting them.

derpy54320

Postby derpy54320 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:23 pm

If you call the atheist community anyone who makes videos on atheism, I really don't think you should judge the community as a whole considering its size. Like, if someone goes out of their way to attack someone's religion in normal conversation or goes on a video about some religion that isn't meant to spark debate but just a peaceful video about whatever the fuck, then that would be kind of unnecessary and they shouldn't push those beliefs on people. They certainly should it hide it either though when it comes to making videos. People often say they should just shut up, people don't need to hear about how they don't believe in god, and they shouldn't make these videos, but it's really simple as freedom of expression. If they're not pushing it to an audience that doesn't want to hear it then it seems more than fair. The word atheist is just saying you're not religious, it doesn't group you with anyone at all, and you don't have to be on the same side as every other atheist out there just because you have that one thing in common.

quinn
Administrator
Administrator

Postby quinn » Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:22 pm

Personally, I'm an atheist. But I have no ill feeling towards any religions, I just think they're wrong and they're shit but we all have our own opinions. But by judging the whole of the atheist community simply off the people who make videos on it, is kind of irrational. Not everyone is an elitist of any kind, but those who are want people to know because they're pricks.

In my opinion, I think the world would be a much better place if religion and racism didn't exist, but then again, that's what makes it all the more fun. More debates, more fights, more internet rants, it all adds up and entertains us all.

I don't believe in any science or any shit claiming to prove when the world started. We are not on a linear spectrum. There was no beginning, and no end. We just continue to exist. No big bang, no big crunch, no God. We just proceed to exist.

Reemyziz

Postby Reemyziz » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:12 am

Coming from a country where they basically stone Atheists to death (still a closed non-believer btw because who wants their family to disown them and kill them?) I still have to pretend to be religious and i never really spoke about this subject, but i get people who say stuff like "*Certain religion* is cancer" because it's somewhat true, religion brings order to society and governments but I think we'd be better off without it.

I get where you're coming from, though. I want women to have rights but i'd never call myself a feminist in a million years because of how bad the so-called "feminists' are.
Heyyo, i'm Reemy. HappyZoe Feel free to say hi :-)

TheGreasyStrangler
Class Skipper
Class Skipper

Postby TheGreasyStrangler » Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:51 am

If you're basing this off YouTubers like TheAmazingAtheist and random comments on Reddit then it's not a fair way to judge. Everyone thinks differently and feels differently, some stronger then others. I personally hate the concept of religion, because different cultures all came up with ideas too feel better about the inevitable death. I live in a very redneck part of the United States and religion is all around me, in our nation anthem, on our money, and in our courts. The U.S. gives MILLIONS of dollars to Israel for NOTHING just because it's the supposed "holy land", so when people say "religion doesn't affect you so shy don't you let others be religious" it pisses me off because it's not true. I've seen teachers try to preach to students and threats of violence made towards people who don't believe, I've seen parents DISOWN their own children because of something not real and that is fucking ridculious. Religion has caused more problems then it has EVER solved. And I may feel strongly, but others may not. I also don't talk about it this mucb unless people ask, and you asked.
FeelsPeteMan ss_gary

Zeron
New Kid
New Kid

Postby Zeron » Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:03 pm

I wrote a huge rant about religion on my blog: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/TheZer ... 424931151/

To summarize it, i'm an atheist who's only okay with types of religion that don't harm other people in any way. I hate those who keep trying to convert others (both religious and atheists). Atheists ARE ALSO bullied, in fact, it can be very hard to be an atheist in some countries where most people follow some sort of religion (Italy, Ethipia, Brazil, etc).

I believe people should just respect each other's beliefs and lack of beliefs, it's not hard at all.
:fail:uck the system

SWEGTA
Administrator
Administrator

Postby SWEGTA » Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:43 am

The real villain here is arrogance, and our culture is infested with it.
People don't just like thinking they're right. They relish in the idea that everyone else hasn't gotten it figured out yet.
It's kind of like how conspiracy theorists often call people who disagree with them 'brainwashed'.

Not to derail the conversation, but evolution does have a good list of evidence to support it.
I wouldn't call it 'little' evidence. But that's neither here nor there.

@KISSbestfan Well, atheism is not really a belief. It's rather the rejection of a belief.
You could argue that it falls under the category of religious affiliation since it's part of the discussion, but it's not a belief.

As for my take on religion, I find all of them to be very questionable. Not only in claims, but also morals. Even if I did believe in god, then I'd probably call myself a deist. To me, religion just seems like unnecessary luggage.
My mom is a christian, but she never pushed that on me. She allowed me to think for myself and explore my own ideas. I think more people should do that, whether they're religious or non-religious.

King Cobra
Administrator
Administrator

Postby King Cobra » Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:27 am

As Swegta said, atheism is the rejection of religion. It's the rejection of religion in general. Atheists rely on factual evidence that can be replicated to prove something exists or once did exist. This is why there has always been the battle over evolution and how the earth came to be.

I follow the same idea as Swegta though, religion has been quite questionable in both morals and their claims. Many if not all of the claims made in religion come from a book that they read and follow from at least 2000 years ago.

During that era people used religion as a way of law and punishment. In the modern era of today, people use religion as a smokescreen to give a false reason as to why they committed some criminal act. Just look at the westboro baptist church.

A lot of people are taking the atheist stance because it's popular, especially with idiots like TheAmazingAtheist driving it down the toilet. He's like the Anita Sarkeesian of atheism.

He gives the wrong impression to those that don't know what atheism is. It's due to people like him though that atheism has picked up any interest at all, just not in a good way sadly.

CheesyBorders
Getting Somewhere
Getting Somewhere

Postby CheesyBorders » Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:48 pm

Thanks to all you guys who commented. I just wanted to clear some things up:
1:I'm not basing this on any atheist youtuber of any kind. I'm basing it off of those atheists who go on unrelated videos just to talk about their hatred for their religion. I'm all for freedom of speech, but I'm not looking for religious debates when watching a documentary on a football stadium.
2:I completely respect all of your points for and against religion, you all have your own thoughts and beliefs and I respect that fully.
3:I'm not saying evolution is "Wrong" but I'm saying that in my opinion, people shouldn't try to chastise people for simply believing in a god or afterlife, when we don't yet fully understand science yet.
4:There are extremists on both sides, so if I came off like I was judging an entire community based off the members I've seen, I'm sorry. I was just basing it off of the many comments I've seen.

Thanks for all of your input, guys!