Announcements: Please turn off your adblock for Bullymods.net! Advertisements help us pay for the site, which allows you to use it--
*Also make sure to Introduce yourself, in the below section! Say Hi, and tell us who you are!* ~quinn

New To Bully Modding, would like some help

CheesyBorders
Getting Somewhere
Getting Somewhere

New To Bully Modding, would like some help

Postby CheesyBorders » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:31 pm

Hey guys, I've just recently began getting into the Bully nodding community, and I'd really like to learn how to make a few mods myself. What would I need to do in order to make some killer Bully mods? Would like any help at all.

SimonBestia
Getting Somewhere
Getting Somewhere

Re: New To Bully Modding, would like some help

Postby SimonBestia » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:45 am

What kinds of mods would you like to make?
Last edited by SimonBestia on Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

CheesyBorders
Getting Somewhere
Getting Somewhere

Postby CheesyBorders » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:51 pm

SimonBestia wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:45 am
What kinds of mods would you like to make?
Looking to make some texture, clothing, and script mods.

derpy54320

Postby derpy54320 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:59 pm

There are a lot of config files that are just plain text you can edit, just be sure to back all your files up before editing any, or at least back some up as you start modding. In /Bully Scholarship Edition/Config/dat there are some files called pedstats.dat, PedPop.dat, and Attitude.dat. They are for ped stats, ped population, and faction attitudes. So you could change the stats of different stat types (stats are not per character, there are different stat names for different types of characters), change where certain factions spawn, or how certain factions feel about each other. You can edit any other file too obviously but those are some fun ones. Some .dat files may not be plain text, they may be compiled in some way or another and be unreadable. For the plain text ones though, open up notepad++ (or regular notepad but, I really suggest using that). They all have some notes (a line starting with # in a config file is a note, the game doesn't read it, it's just developers writing down stuff for each other) at the top so you can figure out how everything works.

Past basic config editing, you'll have to start opening up some of the .img archives to edit much else. An .img archive is just like a .zip or .rar but y'know, different type made just for Bully and I think some old GTA games, though there are some small differences so you will need to use a Bully specific tool. The .img files do not compress the files in any way, all the files that are packed into the .img are simply put in .img as a single file in a row. The .dir file that comes paired with every .img file describes where in each .img file a certain file is. So the .img has all file contents, and .dir has file names along with where in the .img that file is, and how big it is. All that doesn't really matter though but I thought I'd still run you through the basics of how they work and why there are two files, but anyway you can just use my img tool or find another one if you want to open 'em up real easy. That file also comes paired with a lua compiler for later if you want, simply because you might find that interesting as well and I don't want you getting a bad mirror that requires visual c, because my version as linked there is different than most others and as I said, those other ones require a lengthy visual studio installation.

Anyways though, that tool is not a gui based tool, you need to run it using the command line. Open up cmd.exe (C:/Windows/System32/cmd.exe) and use it there. If you've never used the windows command line lemme give you a basic run down, basically it just lets you run any program by typing its name but it also lets you give it special arguments to tell it what to do, which is only available using this command line. The command line also works in one folder at a time so to run an executable in another directory (aka folder), you have to switch to that directory using the cd command, so like cd C:/Bully Scholarship Edition/Scripts.img. If however the directory you're changing too is in a different drive you need to type that drive first followed by a colon, so before typing that cd command, type F: and hit enter, or y'know whatever drive you need to switch to.

If you use a program that deals with files though, it'd get weird since you can only be in one directory at a time, but you might need to, for example, use my img.exe which is in one directory to open World.img which is in another. To fix that, we can add a new directory to your system's path, and then if you try to use an executable in that directory from the command line and it can't find it in the current directory, it'll check the directory in the system's path. So for example, if we're in bully's scripts folder but img.exe is in bully's root folder, we couldn't use img.exe from within the scripts folder. We could, however, add bully's root folder to the system's path, then it'll allow us to use any executable (like img.exe) in that folder wherever we want (like in the scripts folder, or y'know anywhere else there's an .img file). Go to "Control Panel\System and Security\System", system properties, advanced, environment variables, find "PATH" under system variables, and add the folder you extracted img.exe to there (probably extract it to Bully's main folder, but you can put it wherever). If you're on windows 7, this'll require you put a semicolon (;) after the last directory if there isn't one already, or if you're on 10 then I think you just hit a button to add a new one but I forgot.

Now, finally that you have img.exe setup, you can use it to open an .img archive by switching to a folder with an .img file in it by using the command line (remember, cd followed by the full path to the folder, just click the file explorer address bar thing to copy it), and then type img -open "Scripts.img" -view "files.txt". The way my tool works is it takes commands one at a time, in order, with each command starting with a dash and settings for each command following the command. -open opens an archive obviously, -view puts all file names into a text file. Using -extract "filename" will extract a file, and -add "filename" will replace a file or just add it if it's not already in there. Use -rebuild after adding anything otherwise the archive will get a lot of wasted space and cause crashes. Sorry the tool didn't come with a readme, it's not officially released yet but just a work in progress. There are other tools that actually have a visual interface but, they all have their own problems. Small problems but you're probably better off learning this one anyways, totally up to you though.

Now that you can open .img archives, a lot of the files that were once hidden to you are now in the open. DAT/Trigger.img has a lot of config files you can edit, similar to the other config folder. Stream/World.img has all the models/textures. Scripts/Scripts.img has all the game's LUA scripts, which are all compiled LUA 5.0.2 scripts. Use the compiler that came paired with my img tool. If you're interested in scripting, you can watch my tutorials, otherwise I'm sure SimonBestia could help you out with playing with models/textures.

Don't be afraid to explore either, just be sure to back everything up!

CheesyBorders
Getting Somewhere
Getting Somewhere

Postby CheesyBorders » Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:48 pm

derpy54320 wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:59 pm
There are a lot of config files that are just plain text you can edit, just be sure to back all your files up before editing any, or at least back some up as you start modding. In /Bully Scholarship Edition/Config/dat there are some files called pedstats.dat, PedPop.dat, and Attitude.dat. They are for ped stats, ped population, and faction attitudes. So you could change the stats of different stat types (stats are not per character, there are different stat names for different types of characters), change where certain factions spawn, or how certain factions feel about each other. You can edit any other file too obviously but those are some fun ones. Some .dat files may not be plain text, they may be compiled in some way or another and be unreadable. For the plain text ones though, open up notepad++ (or regular notepad but, I really suggest using that). They all have some notes (a line starting with # in a config file is a note, the game doesn't read it, it's just developers writing down stuff for each other) at the top so you can figure out how everything works.

Past basic config editing, you'll have to start opening up some of the .img archives to edit much else. An .img archive is just like a .zip or .rar but y'know, different type made just for Bully and I think some old GTA games, though there are some small differences so you will need to use a Bully specific tool. The .img files do not compress the files in any way, all the files that are packed into the .img are simply put in .img as a single file in a row. The .dir file that comes paired with every .img file describes where in each .img file a certain file is. So the .img has all file contents, and .dir has file names along with where in the .img that file is, and how big it is. All that doesn't really matter though but I thought I'd still run you through the basics of how they work and why there are two files, but anyway you can just use my img tool or find another one if you want to open 'em up real easy. That file also comes paired with a lua compiler for later if you want, simply because you might find that interesting as well and I don't want you getting a bad mirror that requires visual c, because my version as linked there is different than most others and as I said, those other ones require a lengthy visual studio installation.

Anyways though, that tool is not a gui based tool, you need to run it using the command line. Open up cmd.exe (C:/Windows/System32/cmd.exe) and use it there. If you've never used the windows command line lemme give you a basic run down, basically it just lets you run any program by typing its name but it also lets you give it special arguments to tell it what to do, which is only available using this command line. The command line also works in one folder at a time so to run an executable in another directory (aka folder), you have to switch to that directory using the cd command, so like cd C:/Bully Scholarship Edition/Scripts.img. If however the directory you're changing too is in a different drive you need to type that drive first followed by a colon, so before typing that cd command, type F: and hit enter, or y'know whatever drive you need to switch to.

If you use a program that deals with files though, it'd get weird since you can only be in one directory at a time, but you might need to, for example, use my img.exe which is in one directory to open World.img which is in another. To fix that, we can add a new directory to your system's path, and then if you try to use an executable in that directory from the command line and it can't find it in the current directory, it'll check the directory in the system's path. So for example, if we're in bully's scripts folder but img.exe is in bully's root folder, we couldn't use img.exe from within the scripts folder. We could, however, add bully's root folder to the system's path, then it'll allow us to use any executable (like img.exe) in that folder wherever we want (like in the scripts folder, or y'know anywhere else there's an .img file). Go to "Control Panel\System and Security\System", system properties, advanced, environment variables, find "PATH" under system variables, and add the folder you extracted img.exe to there (probably extract it to Bully's main folder, but you can put it wherever). If you're on windows 7, this'll require you put a semicolon (;) after the last directory if there isn't one already, or if you're on 10 then I think you just hit a button to add a new one but I forgot.

Now, finally that you have img.exe setup, you can use it to open an .img archive by switching to a folder with an .img file in it by using the command line (remember, cd followed by the full path to the folder, just click the file explorer address bar thing to copy it), and then type img -open "Scripts.img" -view "files.txt". The way my tool works is it takes commands one at a time, in order, with each command starting with a dash and settings for each command following the command. -open opens an archive obviously, -view puts all file names into a text file. Using -extract "filename" will extract a file, and -add "filename" will replace a file or just add it if it's not already in there. Use -rebuild after adding anything otherwise the archive will get a lot of wasted space and cause crashes. Sorry the tool didn't come with a readme, it's not officially released yet but just a work in progress. There are other tools that actually have a visual interface but, they all have their own problems. Small problems but you're probably better off learning this one anyways, totally up to you though.

Now that you can open .img archives, a lot of the files that were once hidden to you are now in the open. DAT/Trigger.img has a lot of config files you can edit, similar to the other config folder. Stream/World.img has all the models/textures. Scripts/Scripts.img has all the game's LUA scripts, which are all compiled LUA 5.0.2 scripts. Use the compiler that came paired with my img tool. If you're interested in scripting, you can watch my tutorials, otherwise I'm sure SimonBestia could help you out with playing with models/textures.

Don't be afraid to explore either, just be sure to back everything up!
Thanks dude, seriously. I'll explore some files after I back them up. For real, this helped me a lot, a cannot say thank you enough!