Announcements: Welcome to the BullyMods Forum. Please Read SWEGTA's Post in the Announcements, below! ~Staff
--Please turn off your adblock for Bullymods.net! Advertisements help us pay for the site, which allows you to use it--
*Also make sure to Introduce yourself, in the below section! Say Hi, and tell us who you are!* ~quinn

Getting Started with Script Modding

Bully mods, mod discussions, and more.
unknownsoldier
New Kid
New Kid

Getting Started with Script Modding

Postby unknownsoldier » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:21 pm

yoooo its unknownsoldier. will the modding scene ever be active again? It probably won't be as active as it used to be, with modders dedicating so many hours a day towards modding this old game. But I still get so many people adding me on Skype, asking me for help with their mods. I don't even know how useful this post will be since there aren't many people interested in modding anymore, but I figured I might as well post it for the people who are. :D

Also, I know that if you're a new modder, you're probably going to think these programs look very sketchy since you don't understand how they work, but trust me. We've been using these tools for years now, and can assure you that they are completely safe, as long as you follow my instructions PRECISELY. Otherwise, your system may spontaneously combust. Jokes aside, these tools are completely safe.

Lastly, I will try to keep this post updated if it actually becomes an important thread, and make sure that all the links are still working.

_____

Workspace
Of course, it's good to be organized. Create a folder somewhere for LUA modding. I usually just keep my folder in the root of my C drive since it's very easy to access that way. C:\LUA
This is a pretty important part, as this will be where your modding is done.

_____

LuaC
LuaC is used for compiling LUA scripts. This is probably the most important tool for LUA modding in Bully.
In order for LuaC to work, you must install the required libraries included in it's archive.
Run vcsetup.exe and I usually just check every box to make sure that it installs everything. After a while, the installer may crash. "setup.exe has stopped working" or something along those lines. If that's the case, don't worry. Just close it, that usually means the important stuff is installed.
Next, run vcredist_x86.exe, which usually has a shorter install time.
Once those 2 things are installed, this next part is optional, but I strongly recommend it to save time/hassle in the future.
Copy "msvcr90d.dll" and "LuaC.exe" to "C:\Windows\system32". What this does, is allow you to use LuaC.exe from any location on your computer.
LuaC Download

_____

Text Editor That Can Handle LUA Syntax
This part is pretty optional, but trust me. You're not going to be writing shopping lists or anything that will only take a few minutes to write. If you're serious about learning to mod, you're gonna spend a lot of time in here. I've modded with the Notepad application that comes with Windows before, and honestly it wasn't fun. It's bright, ugly, and there's no auto-indent which is useful if you're going to keep your code organized.
So trust me, get yourself some kind of coding environment, or some better looking notepad, meant for code.

There are many programs that are good for this type of thing, but there are 2 that I would actually recommend.
They are Sublime Text, and Notepad++.

If you have neither of those text editors yet, I recommend you get Notepad++ since that's what most of the Bully modding community uses. They both have very nice user-interfaces, but I prefer a lot of things about Notepad++ which I will not go into detail about right now. The 2 names above are hyperlinks, so click one of them to go to their official webpage.

_____

Enable File Extensions
This isn't only useful in Bully modding, because it allows you to identify file types faster, and even change the file type by just changing the file extension by renaming the file.
To do this, go to Control Panel > Folder Options, click on the View tab, then uncheck "Hide extensions for known file types"
then click OK.

Now, when you're ready to create a script mod, you can create a text document, then rename it, and change the file extension from ".txt" to ".lua".

_____

IMG Manager
There are a couple of IMG editors out there that work with Bully's img files such as IMGTool 2.0 from GTA Garage, fastman92's IMG Console and there was a GUI IMG editor app posted somewhere on Bully-Board by MadmaN, but I don't think I have that one anywhere, also, bully-board isn't working anymore. MadmaN's was probably the best one, but whatever. If anyone has it, pls post it for us. I don't think it was ever posted anywhere else other than a thread on BB.

Anyways, I usually used fastman92's console, since you could actually create batch files to do the whole compiling process by just opening the file.
I will not explain how to use the IMG editors in this post, but if you have questions about them, leave a reply, and me or someone else will try to answer it.

I recommend you use the IMGTool if you're new since it has a GUI.

_____

Maybe next I'll do some other modding tutorials, like tutorials in different areas of modding, if no one else does it.

like I said earlier, I dunno how useful these tutorials will be, but I still feel like I really want to make these. I havent modded bully in a looong time, but for a week, ive been wanting to just do it on the side for fun every once in a while.

quinn
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Getting Started with Script Modding

Postby quinn » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:43 pm

Good Post! If you add to this by making a basic script tutorial or someone else makes their own thread, I'll sticky it.

Keep up the good work!

derpy54320

Re: Getting Started with Script Modding

Postby derpy54320 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:31 am

Ditch the visual studio setup, use this version compiled with gcc and you're good to go without installing anything extra. Nice straight forward tutorial otherwise, g'job.